06 Jan Fleet Management
Posted at 18:19h in Blog, Transportation & Logistics 0 Comments
5 Essentials for Successful Fleet Management
Exceptional Fleet Management is the key to ensuring that your transportation vehicle systems are minimizing risks and maximizing efficiency. Whether you operate 15 or 1500 vehicles, effectively managing your fleet is imperative to holding strong, reliable, and efficient logistic-intensive processes.
Having real-time visibility of all your vehicles’ locations, status’, and diagnostics will push your company to the next level.
This can be easily carried out from a combination of the following tactics:
- GPS Vehicle tracking – oversee location, direction, and speed of your vehicles at all times with satellite-based navigation systems.
- Security and Control – Lower the risk of stolen or lost cargo by having visibility on all vehicles and expensive equipment.
- Track inventory within your vehicle with RFID. Mobile inventory tracking is a way to make sure that all of your necessary parts, tools, or items are on-board and available for your drivers when they need them. Learn more about the mobile stockroom technology.
- Maximized Human Capital – Manage and monitor the activity and behavior of workers in the field while also efficiently allocating drive time.
- Capturing and collecting data by field technicians will help your business to make informed decisions around allocation of time and resources. Additionally, tracking and monitoring equipment in the field will increase the security of assets.
- Mechanical Diagnostics – Gather data such as mileage and fuel consumption.
- In Transportation and Logistics, the maintenance schedule of your fleet is an important factor in your business. Making sure your vehicles are being serviced on a regular basis will keep downtime to a minimum. Your fleet is a critical asset and having the visibility into the performance of these assets with RFID systems, scanners, and mobile computers can keep your fleet moving.
- Route optimization – Find the best routes not only to eliminate unnecessary costs but also to meet delivery requirements.
Benefits of Fleet Management Systems
- Cut fuel costs
- Reduce accidents by 11.7%¹
- Increase driver communication
- Save time by reducing paperwork by $705 per driver per year¹
- Reduce downtime
There are many different types of Fleet Management Software that can make this process easier. Utilizing best-in-class software will automatically assist in all the required steps to creating the ideal fleet management system. For an example, ELD (Electronic logging device) will automatically connect vehicles’ movement to tracking records and keep track of workers’ hours of service (HOS). Other software systems can automatically optimize your routes for you and provide accurate arrival/departure times from the use of a mobile computer.
With these procedures into place, you will ultimately minimize risks associated with vehicle investment, reduce all transportation and labor costs, be able to quickly respond to real-time events in the field, and most importantly increase customer satisfaction. Now you have the ability to move your fleet forward with confidence.
Beyond traditional fleet management, new technology allows us to connect our vehicles to our devices and back to our business systems. Keeping your workers connected at all times for visibility into where your fleet is, the route, speed, performance along with the goods or assets within the vehicle are just a few ways T & L companies are increasing efficiency, lowering costs, and improving safety.
Are you ready to optimize your fleet?
Request a free evaluation of your business today.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.